Friday 14 August 2009

Anger Management Movie - Adam Sandler

My 'Anger Management Movie' - Now When Did YOU Last Get Angry?



Do you remember that movie called Anger Management starring Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler? Adam played the passive aggressive bullied-by-his-boss type and Jack played the anger management guru who ran anger management classes and whose job in the film it seems was to try and get Adam angry!

And boy did Jack succeed! There was the 'transvestite in the back of the cab' scene (played 'manfully' by Woody Harrelson), and Jack even got Adam to beat up a Buddhist monk!

So, the point of this article?

Well, I reckon we've all starred in our very own anger management movie or two - scenes where *we* completely lost it. And whilst I'd love to read all about your famous angry moment, I think instead I'll share with you one particular time that I got very, very angry - oops!

(Just to show that none of us can take anger management for granted!)

Okay, I was working in an IT department for a UK financial institution some time back in the 90s. My boss was one of those classic 'consultant'-types who didn't know enough to do the job but he still got paid as if he did. Unfortunately, in this particular case my boss wasn't good at hiding this fact (a skill most consultants quickly learn, if they are ever to progress)

So it comes to a crisis meeting, where we're all trying to work out what went wrong in a particular project and what we could do about it.

And the more the meeting's going along the more it's obvious that what needs to be done needs to be done by me. (To my horror!) But my boss doesn't seem to notice this; the meeting just goes on and on without my boss asking who can do the particular job. And the more the meeting goes on the more I resent the fact that this is something that I have to do, and that I have to tell my boss that this is something I have to do...

And so, for some reason that I really cannot remember, this sequence of events is enough for me to explode in a rage aimed directly at my boss. In full view of ten or so people, none of whom had *ever* seen me lose my temper once!

Oh, did I forget to tell you that I was a mild-mannered Adam Sandler type who never got angry?

Well I did that day! And a lot of people steered clear of me from that point on.

And the really funny thing about my anger management 'movie'? I really can't remember exactly why I got so angry, I just know that I did. And it was embarrassing. For all concerned.

1 comment:

  1. Well. I saw that movie. Nicholson and Sandler were terrific.

    About your anger management problem, I think your boss was very good (I am going by what little you wrote)He subtly placed it on your shoulders without appearing to do so. That shows good management skills. You realized it too, that was why you became angry.

    Words could do many things. Please come visit.

    http://sweiv.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails